Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The right to be a bad parent

Let's face it, there are lots of bad parents.  I work in an elementary school and the fact smacks me in the face every day.  Not everybody should be a mother or a father and the world would probably be a better place if some genes don't procreate.  But it's a fundamental right... right?



It certainly has its consequences, nonetheless.  Bad parenthood means more than not bad childhood.  And bad childhoods usually make any harsh environment 10 times worse.  So does society have an interest in helping the situation?  CAN society help, and if so, SHOULD it try?  You can't just tell somebody to be a better parent and expect results.

An interesting approach has gained some ground in, surprise surprise, California.  I'm not sure how I feel about the implications court sentences have being able to oblige parents to attend...  but the message at face value is something I like.  Check it out.

Yahoo News Article

No comments: