Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Strange Weather Patterns

I'm no meteorologist, nor do I need to be in order to say that the weather has been funky lately.  How far back does "lately" extend to, that is a matter of opinion that I'll leave to the meteorologists to bicker about.  But yes, things are weird, that's for sure.



What strikes me as even more peculiar is the recent weather here in central Spain.  Madrid has never been exactly pleasant during the summer.  It is now, I'm forced to say.  It has been actually mild to the point of luxury: we can sleep at night with light blankets.  If we were near the coast, maybe I'd accept something like coastal winds or the influence of the ocean, but as we're smack dab in the middle of the Iberian Peninsula, I really wonder what's the explanation.

Also catching my eye has been the "Heat Bubble" in the United States.  Is it just a quirky coincidence that one of the hotter places during the summer months has seen some of its coolest summer days (ever?) while the parts of the U.S. which are renowned for being blessed with cooler temperatures (the north and northeast, for example) have been attacked by a spreading heat wave?

I don't know.  Like I said, I'm no meteorologist.  All I know is it's mid-July and for once it's really nice outside.

No comments: